Thank you for signing up for a subscription with Scribe Technologies, Inc. (“Scribe”, “we” or “us”). By placing an order, clicking to accept this Agreement, or using or accessing any Scribe Service or related services, you agree to all the terms and conditions of this Terms of Service Agreement (“Agreement”). If you are using an Scribe Service or related services on behalf of a company or other entity, then “Customer” or “you” means that entity, and you are binding that entity to this Agreement. You represent and warrant that you have the legal power and authority to enter into this Agreement and that, if the Customer is an entity, this Agreement and each Order Form is entered into by an employee or agent with all necessary authority to bind that entity to this Agreement.Please note that we may modify this Agreement as further described in the amendments section below, so you should make sure to check this page from time to time. This Agreement includes any Order Forms and Service-Specific Terms (as defined below) as well as any policies or exhibits linked to or referenced herein.
Scribe provides a suite of products that allows subscribers to test, personalize and analyze the experiences they deliver through their web and mobile platforms. To accomplish this, Customer first installs Scribe Code on a website or mobile application, then uses the editing and configuration tools within the applicable Scribe Service to select Content to personalize or test. Based on these selections, variations of Customer Properties are presented to Visitors. The Service-Specific Terms and the applicable Documentation provide additional details about each Scribe Service.
1. “Add-On” means integrations, applications and other add-ons that are used with the
2. “Affiliate” means any entity which is controlled by, in control of, or is under common control with a party to this Agreement, where “control” means either the power to direct the management or affairs of such entity or ownership of 50% or more of the voting securities of such entity.
3.“Aggregate/Anonymous Data” means: (i) data generated by aggregating Customer Data with other data so that results are non-personally identifiable with respect to Customer or its Visitors and (ii) anonymous learnings, logs and data regarding use of the Scribe Services.
4.“Authorized Users” means Customer’s employees and contractors (such as media agencies or marketing consultants) who are acting for Customer’s benefit and on its behalf.
5.“Confidential Information” means code, inventions, know-how, product plans, inventions, technical and financial information exchanged under this Agreement, that is identified as confidential at the time of disclosure or should reasonably be considered confidential based on the circumstances surrounding the disclosure and the nature of the information disclosed.
6. “Content” means text, images, videos or other content for the Customer Property that Customer selects for use with the Scribe Service. This Content becomes public on the Customer Properties, so Customer should only provide Content that it wishes others to see.
7. “Customer Apps” means the mobile applications expressly identified in the applicable Order Form.
8. “Customer Data” means: (i) Content; (ii) Submitted Data; (iii) Visitor Data; and (iv) any other Customer Data specified in the Service-Specific Terms.
9. “Customer Property or Properties” means the (i) Customer Sites; (ii) Customer Apps; or (iii) other types of platforms or properties (as may be supported by Scribe) specified in the applicable Order Form.
10. “Customer Sites” means the web domains and subdomains expressly identified in the applicable Order Form.
11. “Documentation” means Scribe’s end user technical documentation provided with the Scribe Service.
13. “Scribe Service” means the specific proprietary software-as-a-service product of Scribe specified in Customer’s Order Form, including any related Scribe Code and Documentation. “Scribe Services” do not include any Third Party Product.
14. “Scribe Technology” means the Scribe Services, any and all related or underlying documentation, technology, code, know-how, logos and templates (including in any reports or output obtained from the Scribe Service), anything delivered as part of support or other services, and any updates, modifications or derivative works of any of the foregoing, including as may incorporate any Feedback.
15. “Order Form” means any Scribe ordering documentation or online sign-up or subscription flow that references this Agreement.
16. “Regulated Data” means: (i) any personally identifiable information (other than information about Authorized Users necessary to create user accounts); (ii) any patient, medical or other protected or regulated health information (including HIPAA-regulated data); or (iii) any government IDs, financial information (including bank account or payment card numbers) or any other information subject to regulation or protection under specific laws or regulations (including data covered under the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act or related rules or regulations).
17. “Scope of Use” means the usage limits or other scope of use descriptions for the Scribe Service included in the applicable Order Form or Documentation. These include any numerical limits on Visitors or Authorized Users, descriptions of product feature levels and names or numerical limits for Customer Properties.
18. “Service-Specific Terms” means the additional or different terms and conditions (if any) specific to an Scribe Service or other Scribe products, features, services or subscription plans. Service-Specific Terms are currently available at https://www.tryscribe.com/service-specific-terms/.
19. “Submitted Data” means data uploaded, inputted or otherwise submitted by Customer to the Scribe Service, including Third Party Content.
20. “Subscription Term” means the initial term for the subscription to the applicable Scribe Service, as specified on Customer’s Order Form(s), and each subsequent renewal term (if any).
21. “Third Party Content” means content, data or other materials that Customer provides to the Scribe Services from its third-party data providers, including through Add-Ons used by Customer.
22. “Third Party Product” means any Add-On, applications, integrations, software, code, online services, systems and other products not developed by Scribe.
23. “Visitor” means any end user of a Customer Property.
24. “Visitor Data” means the data concerning the characteristics and activities of Visitors on the Customer Properties collected for Customer by the Scribe Service, including any such data specified in the Service-Specific Terms.
1. Use of Scribe Services. Subject to all terms and conditions of this Agreement, Scribe
grants Customer a worldwide, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable right and license during the
applicable Subscription Term to access and use the Scribe Service designated on Customer’s Order Form solely
for Customer’s internal business purposes, but only in accordance with this Agreement (including without
limitation any applicable Service-Specific Terms), the Documentation, and all applicable Scope of Use
descriptions. Where specified in the Service-Specific Terms, the Scribe Service may require installation of
Scribe Code on Customer Properties. In such cases, subject to the same conditions above, the rights granted
in this Section further include the right to install and use the relevant Scribe Code on the specified
Customer Properties and, in the case of Customer Apps, to distribute the installed Scribe Code with Customer
2. Use by Others. Customer may permit its Authorized Users to use the Scribe Service provided their use is for Customer’s benefit only and remains in compliance with this Agreement. Customer will be responsible and liable for all Authorized Users’ use and access and their compliance with the terms and conditions herein. Use by all Authorized Users in aggregate will count towards applicable Scope of Use restrictions.
3. General Restrictions. Customer must not (and must not allow any third party to): (i) rent, lease, copy, transfer, sublicense or provide access to the Scribe Service to a third party (except Authorized Users as specifically authorized above); (ii) incorporate the Scribe Service (or any portion thereof) into, or use it with or to provide, any site, product or service, other than on Customer Properties owned-and-operated by Customer and as specifically permitted above; (iii) use the Scribe Service (or any portion thereof) for time sharing purposes or for a third party’s benefit; (iv) publicly disseminate information regarding the performance of the Scribe Service (which is deemed Scribe’s Confidential Information); (v) modify or create a derivative work of the Scribe Service or any portion thereof; (vi) reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile, translate, or otherwise seek to obtain or derive the source code, underlying ideas, algorithms, file formats or non-public APIs to any Scribe Service (including Scribe Code), except to the extent expressly permitted by applicable law and then only upon advance notice to Scribe; (vii) break or circumvent any security measures or rate limits for Scribe Services;(viii) distribute any portion of the Scribe Service other than the Scribe Code installed in Customer Apps as specifically permitted above; or (ix) remove or obscure any proprietary or other notices contained in the Scribe Service including in any reports or output obtained from the Scribe Service.
4. Beta Releases and Free Access Subscriptions. Scribe may provide Customer with an Scribe Service or Scribe Code for free or on a trial basis (a “Free Access Subscription”) or with “alpha”, “beta” or other early-stage Scribe Services, Scribe Code, integrations or features (“Beta Releases”). This Section will apply to any Free Access Subscription or Beta Release (even if a Beta Release is provided for a fee or counts towards Customers Scope of Use allocations) and supersedes any contrary provision in this Agreement. Scribe may use good faith efforts in its discretion to assist Customer with Free Access Subscriptions or Beta Releases. Nevertheless, and without limiting the other disclaimers and limitations in this Agreement, CUSTOMER AGREES THAT ANY FREE ACCESS SUBSCRIPTION OR BETA RELEASE IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY, SUPPORT, MAINTENANCE, STORAGE, SLA OR INDEMNITY OBLIGATIONS OF ANY KIND. WITH RESPECT TO BETA RELEASES, CUSTOMER FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT BETA RELEASES MAY NOT BE COMPLETE OR FULLY FUNCTIONAL AND MAY CONTAIN BUGS, ERRORS, OMISSIONS AND OTHER PROBLEMS FOR WHICH SCRIBE WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE. ACCORDINGLY, ANY USE OF A BETA RELEASE IS AT CUSTOMER’S SOLE RISK. Scribe makes no promises that future versions of a Beta Release will be released or will be available under the same commercial or other terms. Scribe may terminate Customer’s right to use any Free Access Subscription or Beta Release at any time for any reason or no reason in Scribe’s sole discretion, without liability.
1. Rights in Customer Data. As between the parties, Customer retains all right, title and
interest (including any intellectual property rights) in and to the Customer Data, all Customer Properties
and all content contained therein (excluding any Scribe Technology). Customer hereby grants Scribe a
non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free right and license to collect, use, copy, store, transmit, modify and
create derivative works of the Customer Data solely to the extent necessary to provide the Scribe Service
and related services to Customer and as otherwise provided below. For Content, this includes the right to
publicly display and perform Content and the Customer Properties (including derivative works and
modifications) as directed by Customer through the Scribe Service.
2. Aggregate/Anonymous Data. Customer agrees that Scribe will have the right to generate Aggregate/Anonymous Data. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, the parties agree that Aggregate/Anonymous Data is Scribe Technology, which Scribe may use for any business purpose during or after the term of this Agreement (including without limitation to develop and improve Scribe’s products and services and to create and distribute reports and other materials). Scribe will not distribute Aggregate/Anonymous Data in a manner that personally identifies Customer or its Visitors.
3. Security. Scribe agrees to maintain technical and organizational measures designed to secure its systems from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. These measures will include: (i) storing Customer Data on servers located in a physically secured location and (ii) using firewalls, access controls and similar security technology designed to protect Customer Data from unauthorized disclosure. Scribe takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any Customer Data other than its express security obligations in this Section.
4. Storage. Scribe does not provide an archiving service. During the Subscription Term, Customer acknowledges that Scribe may delete Content no longer in active use. Scribe expressly disclaims all other obligations with respect to storage. Additional storage terms may be specified in the applicable Service-Specific Terms.
Scribe makes available web-based support through email (currently available at firstname.lastname@example.org). Additional support services may be available to Customer upon payment of applicable fees (if any), as specified in Customer’s Order Form. Any support services are subject to this Agreement and Scribe’s applicable support policies. Scribe may also provide onboarding, deployment and other services under this Agreement. The scope, pricing and other terms for these additional services will be set forth in an Order Form, Order Form exhibit or other document referencing this Agreement. Customer may use anything delivered as part of these additional services internally during its Subscription Term to support its authorized use of the Scribe Service, subject to the restrictions in Section 4 (Use Rights) above applicable to the Scribe Service itself. Scribe’s ability to deliver services will depend on Customer’s reasonable and timely cooperation and the accuracy and completeness of any information from Customer needed to deliver the services. For avoidance of doubt, Customer retains ownership of any Confidential Information it provides to Scribe.
Customer agrees to pay all fees in U.S. dollars within thirty (30) days of the invoice date, unless a different currency or payment period is specified in the applicable Order Form. Scribe’s fees are exclusive of all taxes, and Customer must pay any applicable sales, use, VAT, GST, excise, withholding or similar taxes or levies, whether domestic or foreign, other than taxes based on the income of Scribe. Customer will make tax payments to Scribe to the extent amounts are included in Scribe’s invoices. Some customers may have the option to pay by credit card. If Customer is paying by credit card, it authorizes Scribe to charge fees and other amounts automatically to Customer’s credit card without invoice. Unless otherwise specified in an Order Form or Service-Specific Term, such charges typically occur monthly in advance, though overage fees (if any) may be charged in arrears. Payments are non-refundable and non-creditable and payment obligations non-cancellable. Late payments may be subject to a service charge equal to the lesser of 1.5% per month of the amount due or the maximum amount allowed by law.
1. Term. This Agreement is effective until all Subscription Terms for the Scribe
Service(s) have expired or are terminated as expressly permitted herein.
2. Subscription Term and Renewals. By placing an Order Form for purchase of an Scribe Service, Customer is agreeing to pay applicable fees for the entire Subscription Term. Customer cannot cancel or terminate a Subscription Term except as expressly permitted by Section 9.4 (Termination for Cause) or a Service-Specific Term. Each Subscription Term will automatically renew for additional successive twelve-month periods unless: (i) otherwise stated on the applicable Order Form or (ii) either party gives written notice of non-renewal at least thirty (30) days before the end of the then-current Subscription Term. If no subscription start date is specified on the applicable Order Form, the subscription starts when Customer first obtains access to the Scribe Service. Pricing for any Subscription Term renewal, new Order Form or Order Form change will be at Scribe’s then-applicable rates.
3. Suspension of Service. Scribe may suspend Customer’s access to the Scribe Service(s) if: (i) Customer’s account is overdue or (ii) Customer has exceeded its Scope of Use limits. Scribe may also suspend Customer’s access to the Scribe Service(s), remove Customer Data or disable Third Party Products if it determines that: (a) Customer has breached Sections 4 (Use Rights) or 6 (Customer Obligations) or (b) suspension is necessary to prevent harm or liability to other customers or third parties or to preserve the security, stability, availability or integrity of the Scribe Service. Scribe will have no liability for taking action as permitted above. For avoidance of doubt, Customer will remain responsible for payment of fees during any suspension period. However, unless this Agreement has been terminated, Scribe will cooperate with Customer to restore access to the Scribe Service once it verifies that Customer has resolved the condition requiring suspension.
4. Termination for Cause. Either party may terminate this Agreement, including any related Order Form, if the other party: (i) fails to cure any material breach of this Agreement (including a failure to pay fees) within thirty (30) days after written notice detailing the breach; (ii) ceases operation without a successor; or (iii) seeks protection under any bankruptcy, receivership, trust deed, creditors’ arrangement, composition or comparable proceeding, or if any such proceeding is instituted against that party (and not dismissed within sixty (60) days thereafter). Scribe may also terminate this Agreement or any related Order Forms immediately if Customer breaches Sections 4 (Use Rights) or 6 (Customer Obligations) or for repeated violations of this Agreement.
5. Effect of Termination. Upon any expiration or termination of this Agreement or an Order Form: (i) Customer’s license rights shall terminate and it must immediately cease use of the applicable Scribe Service(s) (including any related Scribe Technology), cease distributing any Scribe Code installed on its Customer Properties, and delete (or, at Scribe’s request, return) any and all copies of the Scribe Code, any Scribe documentation, passwords or access codes and any other Scribe Confidential Information in Customer’s possession, custody or control and (ii) Customer’s right to access any Customer Data in the applicable Scribe Service will cease and Scribe may delete any such data in its possession at any time. If Scribe terminates this Agreement for cause as provided in Section 9.4 (Termination for Cause), any payments for the remaining portion of the Subscription Term will become due and must be paid immediately by Customer. Except where this Agreement specifies an exclusive remedy, all remedies under this Agreement, including termination or suspension, are cumulative and not exclusive of any other rights or remedies that may be available to a party.
6. Survival. The following Sections survive any expiration or termination of this Agreement: 2 (Definitions); 3 (Account Registration and Use); 4.3 (General Restrictions); 4.4 (Beta Releases and Free Access Subscriptions); 5.1 (Rights in Customer Data); 5.2 (Aggregate/Anonymous Data); 8 (Fees and Payment); 9 (Term and Termination); 10 (Confidential Information); 11 (Scribe Technology); 12 (Indemnification); 13 (Disclaimers); 14 (Limitations of Liability); 15 (Third-Party Products and Integrations); and 16 (General).
1. Obligation of Confidentiality. Each party (as the receiving party) must: (i) hold in
confidence and not disclose the other party’s Confidential Information to third parties except as permitted
by this Agreement; and (ii) use the other party’s Confidential Information only to fulfill its obligations
and exercise its rights under this Agreement. Each party may share the other party’s Confidential
Information with its employees, agents or contractors having a legitimate need to know (which, for Scribe,
includes the subcontractors referenced in Section 16.4), provided that such party remains responsible for
any recipient’s compliance with the terms of this Section 10 and these recipients are bound to
confidentiality obligations no less protective than this Section.
2. Exclusions. These confidentiality obligations do not apply to (and Confidential Information does not include) information that: (i) is or becomes public knowledge through no fault of the receiving party; (ii) was known by the receiving party prior to receipt of the Confidential Information; (iii) is rightfully obtained by the receiving party from a third party without breach of any confidentiality obligation; or (iv) is independently developed by the receiving party without using the disclosing party’s Confidential Information. A party may also disclose the other party’s Confidential Information to the extent required by law or court order, provided it gives advance notice (if permitted by law) and cooperates in any effort by the other party to obtain confidential treatment for the information.
3. Remedies. The parties acknowledge that disclosure of Confidential Information may cause substantial harm for which damages alone may be an insufficient remedy, and so upon breach of this Section each party is entitled to seek appropriate equitable relief in addition to any other remedies it may have at law.
1. Ownership and Updates. This is a subscription agreement for access to and use of the
Scribe Service. Customer acknowledges that it is obtaining only a limited right to use the Scribe Service
and that irrespective of any use of the words “purchase”, “sale” or similar terms, no ownership rights are
transferred to Customer under this Agreement. Customer agrees that Scribe (or its suppliers) retains all
rights, title and interest (including all intellectual property rights) in and to all Scribe Technology
(which is deemed Scribe’s Confidential Information) and reserves any licenses not specifically granted
herein. Other than the Scribe Code, the Scribe Service is offered as an on-line, hosted product.
Accordingly, Customer acknowledges and agrees that it has no right to obtain a copy of the software behind
any Scribe Service and that Scribe at its option may make updates, bug fixes, modifications or improvements
to the Scribe Service from time-to-time.
2. Feedback. If Customer elects to provide any suggestions, comments, improvements, information, ideas or other feedback or related materials to Scribe (collectively, “Feedback”), Customer hereby grants Scribe a worldwide, perpetual, non-revocable, sub licensable, royalty-free right and license to use, copy, disclose, license, distribute and exploit any such Feedback in any manner without any obligation, payment or restriction based on intellectual property rights or otherwise. Nothing in this Agreement limits Scribe’s right to independently use, develop, evaluate or market products, whether incorporating Feedback or otherwise.
Customer will indemnify and hold Scribe harmless from and against any third-party claims and related costs, damages, liabilities and expenses (including reasonable attorney’s fees) arising from or pertaining to any Customer Data, Customer Property (including services or products provided through such property), or breach or alleged breach of Section 6 (Customer Obligations). Customer also agrees to defend Scribe against these claims at Scribe’s request, but Scribe may participate in any claim through counsel of its own choosing and the parties will reasonably cooperate on any defense. Customer must not settle any claim without Scribe’s prior written consent if the settlement does not fully release Scribe from liability or would require Scribe to admit fault, pay any amounts or take or refrain from taking any action.
ALL SCRIBE TECHNOLOGY AND RELATED SERVICES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND ON AN “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS. NEITHER SCRIBE NOR ITS SUPPLIERS MAKE ANY WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, TITLE, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NONINFRINGEMENT. SCRIBE MAKES NO REPRESENTATION, WARRANTY OR GUARANTEE THAT SCRIBE TECHNOLOGY WILL MEET CUSTOMER’S REQUIREMENTS OR EXPECTATIONS, THAT CUSTOMER DATA WILL BE ACCURATE, COMPLETE OR PRESERVED WITHOUT LOSS, OR THAT SCRIBE TECHNOLOGY WILL BE TIMELY, SECURE, UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE. SCRIBE DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT SECURITY MEASURES WILL BE ERROR-FREE AND WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS BEYOND ITS REASONABLE CONTROL. SCRIBE WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE IN ANY MANNER FOR ANY CUSTOMER PROPERTIES, THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS, THIRD PARTY CONTENT, OR NON-SCRIBE SERVICES (INCLUDING FOR ANY DELAYS, INTERRUPTIONS, TRANSMISSION ERRORS, SECURITY FAILURES, AND OTHER PROBLEMS CAUSED BY THESE ITEMS), FOR REGULATED DATA RECEIVED FROM CUSTOMER IN BREACH OF THIS AGREEMENT, FOR THE COLLECTION, USE AND DISCLOSURE OF CUSTOMER DATA AUTHORIZED BY THIS AGREEMENT, OR FOR DECISIONS OR ACTIONS TAKEN (OR NOT TAKEN) BY CUSTOMER BASED UPON SCRIBE TECHNOLOGY OR SCRIBE’S RELATED SERVICES (INCLUDING CHANGES TO CUSTOMER PROPERTIES). CUSTOMER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT SCRIBE IS NOT A BUSINESS ASSOCIATE OR SUBCONTRACTOR (AS THOSE TERMS ARE DEFINED IN THE HEALTH INSURANCE PORTABILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY ACT) AND THAT THE SCRIBE SERVICE IS NOT HIPAA COMPLIANT. THE DISCLAIMERS IN THIS SECTION SHALL APPLY TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE LAW, NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING TO THE CONTRARY HEREIN. CUSTOMER MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, ANY STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE SHORTEST PERIOD AND MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL SCRIBE OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OF USE, LOST OR INACCURATE DATA, INTERRUPTION OF BUSINESS, LOST PROFITS, COSTS OF DELAY, REPUTATIONAL HARM, OR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, COVER, RELIANCE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, HOWEVER CAUSED, EVEN IF INFORMED IN ADVANCE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. IN NO EVENT WILL SCRIBE’S OR ITS SUPPLIERS’ TOTAL LIABILITY EXCEED IN AGGREGATE THE AMOUNT ACTUALLY PAID OR PAYABLE BY CUSTOMER TO SCRIBE FOR THE APPLICABLE SCRIBE SERVICE OR RELATED SERVICES IN THE TWELVE (12) MONTHS PRECEDING THE CLAIM. FOR FREE ACCESS SUBSCRIPTIONS OR BETA RELEASES PROVIDED WITHOUT CHARGE, SCRIBE’S TOTAL LIABILITY SHALL NOT EXCEED IN AGGREGATE FIFTY U.S. DOLLARS ($50 US). NOTWITHSTANDING THE FOREGOING, NONE OF THE LIMITATIONS IN THIS SECTION 14 EXCLUDES EITHER PARTY’S LIABILITY FOR FRAUD OR FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY TO THE EXTENT CAUSED BY A PARTY’S NEGLIGENCE. IN ADDITION, THE LAWS IN SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW SOME OF THE LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY IN THIS SECTION. IF ANY OF THESE LAWS IS FOUND TO APPLY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THIS SECTION 14 SHALL APPLY TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY SUCH LAW. EACH PARTY ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT THIS SECTION 14 IS A FUNDAMENTAL BASIS OF THE BARGAIN AND A REASONABLE ALLOCATION OF RISK BETWEEN THE PARTIES AND WILL SURVIVE AND APPLY TO ANY CLAIMS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THIS AGREEMENT, ANY SCRIBE TECHNOLOGY OR ANY RELATED SERVICES, REGARDLESS OF THE THEORY OF LIABILITY (CONTRACT, TORT, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE), EVEN IF ANY LIMITED REMEDY IN THIS AGREEMENT IS FOUND TO HAVE FAILED OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
If Customer uses Third Party Products in connection with the Scribe Services, those products may make Third Party Content available to Customer and may access Customer’s instance of the Scribe Service, including Customer Data. Scribe does not warrant or support Third Party Products or Third Party Content (whether or not these items are designated by Scribe as “powered”, “verified” or otherwise) and disclaims all responsibility and liability for these items and their access to the Scribe Services, including their modification, deletion, disclosure or collection of Customer Data. Scribe is not responsible in any way for Customer Data once it is transmitted, copied or removed from the Scribe Services. Customer may use Scribe’s Add-on Platform to enable non-Scribe Add-Ons for use with the Scribe Services. Those Add-Ons are subject to the the Add-On Platform Terms of Service currently available at www.tryscribe.com/terms-add-on.
1.Assignment. This Agreement will bind and inure to the benefit of each party’s permitted
successors and assigns. Neither party may assign this Agreement without the advance written consent of the
other party, except that Scribe may assign this Agreement without consent to an affiliate or in connection
with a merger, reorganization, acquisition or other transfer of all or substantially all of its assets or
voting securities. Any attempt to transfer or assign this Agreement except as expressly authorized under
this Section 16.1 will be null and void.
2. Notices. Any notice or communication under this Agreement must be in writing. Customer must send any notices under this Agreement (including breach notices) to Scribe at the following address, email@example.com, and include “Attn. Legal Department” in the subject line. Scribe may send notices to the e-mail addresses on Customer’s account or, at Scribe’s option, to Customer’s last-known postal address. Scribe may also provide operational notices regarding the Scribe Service or other business-related notices through conspicuous posting of such notice on Scribe’s website or the Scribe Service. Each party hereby consents to receipt of electronic notices. Scribe is not responsible for any automatic filtering Customer or its network provider may apply to email notifications.
3. Publicity. Unless otherwise specified in the applicable Order Form, Scribe may use Customer’s name, logo and marks (including marks on Customer Properties) to identify Customer as an Scribe customer on Scribe’s website and other marketing materials.
4. Subcontractors. Scribe may use subcontractors and permit them to exercise the rights granted to Scribe in order to provide the Scribe Service and related services under this Agreement. These subcontractors may include, for example, Scribe’s hosted service and CDN providers. However, subject to all terms and conditions herein, Scribe will remain responsible for: (i) compliance of its subcontractors with the terms of this Agreement; and (ii) the overall performance of the Scribe Services if and as required under this Agreement.
5. Subpoenas. Nothing in this Agreement prevents Scribe from disclosing Customer Data to the extent required by law, subpoenas, or court orders, but Scribe will use commercially reasonable efforts to notify Customer where permitted to do so.
6. Independent Contractors. The parties to this Agreement are independent contractors, and this Agreement does not create a partnership, joint venture, employment, franchise, or agency relationship. Neither party has the power to bind the other or incur obligations on the other party’s behalf without the other party’s prior written consent.
7. Force Majeure. Neither party will be liable for any delay or failure to perform its obligations under this Agreement (except payment obligations) if the delay or failure is due to causes beyond its reasonable control, such as a strike, blockade, war, act of terrorism, riot, natural disaster, failure or reduction of power or telecommunications or data networks or services, or government act.
8. Export. Customer is responsible for obtaining any required export or import authorizations for use of the Scribe Services. Customer represents and warrants that it, its affiliates, and its Authorized Users are not on any U.S. government list of prohibited or restricted parties or located in (or a national of) a country subject to a U.S. government embargo or that has been designated by the U.S. government as a “terrorist supporting” country. Customer must not access or use the Scribe Service in violation of any U.S. export embargo, prohibition or restriction.
9. Amendments; Waivers. Scribe may update or modify this Agreement (including any Service-Specific Terms, referenced policies and other documents) from time to time. If Scribe modifies the Agreement during Customer’s Subscription Term, the modified version will take effect upon Customer’s next Subscription Term renewal, except that: (i) changes to the policies referenced herein (such as the Acceptable Use Policy) will take effect thirty (30) days from the date of posting; (ii) if Scribe launches new products or optional features that require opt-in acceptance of new terms, those terms will apply upon Customer’s acceptance; and (iii) any updated or modified Agreement will take effect immediately for Free Access Subscriptions or if Customer accepts new Order Forms or Order Form changes following the modification. Customer may be required to click through the updated Agreement to show acceptance; in any event, continued use of Free Access Subscriptions or any renewal of a Subscription Term following the update shall constitute acceptance of the updated Agreement. If Customer does not agree to the updated Agreement after it takes effect, Customer will no longer have the right to use the Scribe Service. Except as otherwise described in this Section, any modification or amendment to this Agreement must be made in writing and signed by a duly authorized representative of each party (each in its discretion). No waiver will be implied from conduct or failure to enforce or exercise rights under this Agreement. Waivers must be made in writing and executed by a duly authorized representative of the waiving party.
10. Severability. If any provision of this Agreement is found by any court of competent jurisdiction to be unenforceable or invalid, that provision will be limited to the minimum extent necessary so that this Agreement may otherwise remain in effect.
11. No Third Party Rights. Nothing in this Agreement confers on any third party the right to enforce any provision of this Agreement. Customer acknowledges that each Order Form only permits use by and for the legal entity or entities identified in the Order Form and not any affiliated entities.
12. Attorneys’ Fees and Costs. The substantially prevailing party in any action to enforce this Agreement will be entitled to recover its reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs for the action.
13. Entire Agreement. This Agreement represents the parties’ complete and exclusive understanding relating to the Agreement’s subject matter. It supersedes all prior or contemporaneous oral or written communications, proposals and representations with respect to the Scribe Technology or any other subject matter covered by this Agreement. The terms of the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the Sale of Goods do not apply to this Agreement. The Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act (UCITA) shall not apply to this Agreement regardless of when or where adopted. Any terms provided by Customer (including as part of any purchase order or other business form used by Customer) are for administrative purposes only, and have no legal effect.
14. Governing Law; Jurisdiction and Venue. This Agreement is governed by the laws of the State of California and the United States, without regard to choice or conflict of law rules thereof. The exclusive jurisdiction and venue for actions related to the subject matter of this Agreement shall be the courts located in California, and both parties submit to the personal jurisdiction of these courts.